Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Volunteer for the Nephcure Foundation - November 2010


I decided that volunteer work would be the next step in giving back to my community and finding things that I can become more passionate about. I found this organization on volunteermatch.com. It was for the Nephcure Walk which was being held in Santa Monica, CA. This particular walk deals with persons who suffer from nephrotic syndrome which affects the kidneys. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I lost my father about four years ago to Kidney failure. With that connection, I decided that this cause would be my first volunteer opportunity.

I arrived bright and early at the Santa Monica Pier and met with the volunteer coordinator, Catherine Lepone. She was an amazing person working for a great cause. I met some wonderful people who shared their stories about the family members that suffered from nephrotic syndrome. Everyone from patients, family, and even doctors from UCLA arrieved to show their support. In addition to general help with set up, information, and breakdown of the booths, I luckily brought by D40 (which I carry everywhere!). This gave me an opportunity to volunteer by doing something I love...taking photographs!

Overall, this is a great organization, and I hope to volunteer again next year for the Nephcure walks!

1 comment:

  1. It's fun to do volunteer work and its a great experience.

    ReplyDelete