Friday, December 10, 2010

Downtown Los Angeles (Part 2) - August 29, 2010

Grand Hope Park
My love for the heart of Downtown Los Angeles has grown immensely over this past year. I just used to think of it as the city I spent most of my days working in. Surrounded by sky high buildings and historic sites,  I decided that this was the year to venture into the city and experience more. In my previous post, I had visited Bunker Hill. This time around, I visited the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising ('FIDM'), Grand Hope Park, and the Bradbury Building. Each of these sites are unique in their own ways, yet slightly hidden that you may not even know the architecture and history behind the exterior facades.

Let's begin with FIDM. This school is dedicated to fashion. If any of you were fans of the MTV show 'The Hills', This is where LC attended school. A friend and I decided to visit their exhibit in the FIDM museum. Now, although I say museum, it's only a few rooms. And some may be thinking, why would a fashion school have a museum? Yeah, its the same thing I thought. However, it was actually quite interesting. The museum consisted of clothing and costumes from current day television shows such as Mad Men and costumes from the movie Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway. It's just too bad that we were not allowed to photograph these amazing costumes!

Next, we visited Grand Hope Park. This is the park located right outside the doors of FIDM. For being in the middle of the city, it was quite clean and pleasant. There are many seating areas, a children's area, and a fountain. There are also a few sculputures around. I did a little more research and this park also holds activities including yoga, outdoor cinema nights, food fests, etc.  Its a little gem in the middle of the big city. 

Lastly, we went down to the 'Bradbury Building'. From the outside, this building blends into the background. It is nothing special or fancy on the outside, but step inside and you are transformed into one of the most architecturally detailed buildings in downtown. It was built in 1893 and was then restored in 1991. The details are a combination of ornamental cast iron and hardwood. It has beautiful caged elevators and almost transports you into a different time in history. At this time, you can visit the Bradbury building, but visitors are only allowed on the first floor as the building is still home to many offices and businesses. Although I've worked in downtown for sometime now, I sought out this building because of my love of the movie '500 Days of Summer'. The final scene where he meets Autumn is in this building. Its a great place to visit if your in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment