Sunday, December 12, 2010

Kidney Walk 2010 - October 2010

One of the other goals of the year was to get out and give back more. I didn't get started on this goal until closer to the end of the year, but I found a cause that was truly meaningful to me. I decided to join the 2010 National Kidney Foundation, Kidney Walk. The background is that when I was younger, my father was diagnosed with kidney failure. He was only given a few years to live, but he survived well past what the doctors had predicted. He underwent dialysis in order to survive, and by the time a kidney was available for transplant, his body was too weak to accept the kidney. He passed away four years ago with his long battle with kidney failure. 


I found this walk online and signed up to be a walker. My mom and sister were so inspired by my efforts, they decided to join with me. Knowing how poor the economy is and that most people didn't have extra money to spare, I posted my cause on my facebook page at an attempt to receive donations. I was extremely surprised to find out that people had opened their hearts and donated to my cause! I was able to raise $300 in 10 days! If you add the money that my mom and sister raised, the grand total came to $800! From friends that I've known since childhood, to friends that I've only met once in my life, to old bosses, neighbors, family, and friends that are thousands of miles away, donations came in! Even if friends were unable to donate, they provided me with words of support! Although I've already said it at the time, I am so very thankful to have such wonderful people with big hearts in my life!


The walk began at 8:00 am! It was a gloomy day with on and off sprinkles. Even with the poor weather, hundreds of people came out to participate and show their support for the Kidney Foundation...It was pretty inspiring to be a part of something larger than myself. Next year, I plan to be on the other side and volunteer for such a great cause...

1 comment:

  1. hello :)
    I came across your blog I am so touched my your story. I wanted to tell you that I work for the National Kidney Foundation and we would love to have you join us again for our 3rd annual walk on October 21st. I'm glad the walk that you previously attended was so meaningful to you. We do these walks to help and inspire and I am glad to see that you were glad that you participated.
    Best Wishes
    -Gina

    ReplyDelete