Saturday, January 1, 2011

Year End Solocation - Day 3

DAY 3: 17 Mile Scenic Drive: Monterey, CA
Our Yosemite National Park trip had been cancelled due to dangerous conditions. Our tour bus replaced the Yosemite trip with a trip through the 17 Mile Scenic Drive in Monterey, CA.

Look Closely...SEA LIONS!





This ended our trip. I have to say that the 17 mile was beautiful, but I was still very disappointed that we did not get to go to Yosemite, but overall was satisfied by my entire experience.

Afterthoughts:
I must agree with all the people who told me that taking a solocation was a liberating experience. Although I was not really alone, but with a giant bus full of other tourists. I did learn a lot about myself and set some great goals for the following year. I also discovered that I am okay to do things alone and self-consciousness should not be a real issue...the only issue is whether or not I am happy doing what it is that I am doing. It's going to take some time to get the solo travel part down, but here is what I learned:

1) Bring a map! or a GPS with charger!
2) Plan ahead... Planning the tours, places to eat, and things to do is very important! I learned that without planning (for me at least), I would have walked aimlessly around town and getting lost. Write down and schedule your own itinerary.
3) Do your research...places to go, safest routes, background, times that places open and close, etc.
4) Although one may be enjoying the city, always keep your eyes and ears open. Walk with you head held high and with confidence.

I will definitely be doing another solo vacation, but next time without an actual tour group. I want to challenge myself to see if I can really handle being out in a new town by myself. I plan to end up in Washington State this summer.

Lastly, I found through this solocation that I want to take myself out on a fancy date. At least every few months, I want to take myself out to dinner at an expensive steakhouse and a movie after, practice being ble to say "table for one please."

3 comments:

  1. the 17 Mile Scenic Drive in Monterey, CA...is really a fantastice place to visit. Hope someday i will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the pictures you have there. Make me wanna go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this very nice tips.

    ReplyDelete